This 40,000 sq. ft. renovation and expansion of the Portland Hilton reengaged a 1950’s hotel with its urban environment. The sterile opacity of the original building was replaced with a rich, animated facade of granite and precast concrete panels. New windows, entrances, and bold entrance canopies strengthen the hotel’s physical and visual interaction with Portland’s street life and convey a message of hospitality to arriving guests. The construction of a new ballroom, meeting rooms, and a membership health club on the second level provide a plethora of guest amenities.An open and spacious atrium links this new second level both to the new lobby and to the existing lower level ballrooms. A 175-seat restaurant, designed to serve the needs of both the hotel guests and the greater Portland community, is among the region’s most successful venues.